Let’s be real…we all love pizza! A healthier option? Yes please! Cauliflower crust pizza has less calories, but tastes just as delicious.
I’ve been wanting to attempt cauliflower crust pizza for a while now…literally, I have pinned at least ten recipes over the last year, yet still, it never fell at the top of the list. It sounded like a lot of work. Anything involving the food processor sounds like a lot of work. In actuality, it’s the exact opposite. This was one of the easiest and most delicious meals I’ve made in a while…and oh so satisfying!
Step 1: Chop up a medium head of cauliflower and toss it into a food processor. Pulse about 30 times until the cauliflower becomes a rice-like consistency.
Step 2: Move the “riced” cauliflower to a bowl. Microwave for 4 minutes, then let it cool for a few minutes. Squeeze the liquid from the cauliflower using a cheesecloth or a clean, thin kitchen towel. Once all of the liquid has been removed (there will be A LOT of liquid, trust me!), put the cauliflower back into the bowl. Add egg, dried herbs, cheese, salt and pepper. Mix all the ingredients together. Use your hands…don’t be afraid!
Step 3: On a parchment/foil lined baking sheet, form the mixture into a circle (or rectangle, if you prefer). Bake for 10 minutes at 425 degrees. Depending on your oven, this could vary. Some ovens might require 10-15 minutes at 450 degrees. I tend to do less heat for longer time in order to avoid over-cooking or burning.
Step 4: This is quick and easy, right?! We’re almost done. Only 15 minutes until you get to enjoy a bite of this delicious pizza! Pick your toppings and get creative. Marinara sauce, pesto, cheese(s), veggies, meat, basil, whatever your heart desires, toss it on! Be careful – don’t overload it, or the pizza will be too heavy and the crust will crumble. I added cheese, thinly sliced zucchini (I used a potato peeler to get paper-like slices), red bell pepper and fresh basil, but feel free to be adventurous and use whatever you have in the fridge. Turn the heat down to 400 degrees and bake for 10-15 minutes.
Step 5: ENJOY!
CAULIFLOWER CRUST PIZZA (Serves 2)
- 1 medium head of cauliflower
- 1 cup shredded cheese (I used part-skim Mozzarella, but goat cheese or vegan cheese works!)
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- toppings – marinara sauce, pesto, cheese(s), veggies, meat, you name it!
1. Pulse the cauliflower in a food processor about 30 times until the cauliflower becomes a rice-like consistency.
2. Microwave the “riced” cauliflower in a bowl for 4 minutes, then let it cool for a few minutes. Squeeze the liquid from the cauliflower using a cheesecloth. Once all of the liquid has been removed, put the cauliflower back into the bowl. Add egg, dried herbs, cheese, salt and pepper. Mix together using your hands.
3. On a parchment/foil lined baking sheet, form the mixture into the shape of a pizza crust. Bake for 10 minutes at 425 degrees. Depending on your oven, this could vary.
4. Add your toppings and bake at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes.
NOTES: There is no “right” way to make pizza, so feel free to make it vegan with vegan cheese, add your favorite veggies, or go the opposite route and add some pepperoni! Guaranteed, it will be delicious!
Made with love, Linda.